Monday, December 5, 2011

A quick tip!

I'm a multi-tasker.  To means that means that I can and always do more then I should be doing at one time. I'm also a mom of a sweet and busy little toddler. That means while I'm cooking dinner, I'm also very busy trying to steal hugs & kisses and spend some quality time with the little ones in my house (can't forget about my fur baby!).  This sometimes (75% of the time), leads to pots boiling over and me cooking "cajun style" (blackened). Thankfully my husbands stomach has gotten used to this :)

While cooking one day I noticed my pot of potatoes were drastically close to boiling over.  Instead of frantically turning down the heat, a light bulb went off in my head.  I remember reading in one of my cooking magazines that if you lay a wooden spoon across a pot of boiling water, it would prevent it from boiling over.  Hmm.. lets try this.

It worked!  Well, it mostly worked.  It works best if you lay the wooden spoon onto the pot as soon as you start boiling.  Once the starch boiled over the pot the initial time, it didn't happen again and I didn't adjust the heat settings.
      
I then tried it again, placing the spoon on the pot immediately and it worked like a charm!

uh-oh

getting close...

CRAP!

it didn't boil over after that

I placed the spoon on the pot from the start and it didn't boil over at all!

1 comment: