Monday, November 21, 2011

Fabric covered boxes

When I first started this blog, I originally thought it would be a perfect mix of recipes and crafts, but I've really only focused on the cooking/baking part.  That's the easiest part.  I need to eat and so does my family, so it's killing 2 birds with 1 stone.  The crafting part.. that's the hard part.  With cooking and baking so many yummy recipes, I've now started using my "free time" to work-out instead of craft.  Unless we get a nice relaxing weekend at home, with no errands and super long naps, not much crafting gets done lately.  This weekend was one of those exceptions!

Since we have a toddler, we buy a lot of diapers and wipes.  And we buy in bulk. This leads to very many cardboard boxes. I'm a fanatic about recycling, but I'm an even bigger fanatic about organization (or at least I dream to be!).  With all sorts of toys, puzzles, hats, gloves, mittens, etc all piled around the house, I need to find a pretty way to store them.  My solution is to cover some of these boxes with fabric that I already have a good stock of, and see what happens. 

The best part about this project is that I didn't have to use my hot glue gun (we don't work well together), and I could use my spray glue that I had leftover from a previous project.  Spray glue is ah-maz-zing!  You just need to make sure you have your work surfaced covered and have the room well ventilated :)

Materials needed:
box or item to cover
material, amount depends on the size of the box
scissors
spray glue (or hot glue gun for all you show-offs!

Directions:
I'll post the directions with each picture, so it will be a bit easier to follow.

Start with cutting off the top flaps on your box. I used a pair of all-purpose scissors and not my fabric sheers.
Lay box on the fabric and roll over to the side, you want to make sure you have enough fabric on each side, plus about 2 inches to fold over into the inside of the box.  Repeat with the opposite side.

Repeat the previous step with the remaining sides of the box.

Cut fabric accordingly, leaving about an inch allowance on the sides where it will meet up on the outside corners of the box.  Start with one side of the box and spray with the fabric glue and immediately fold over fabric, smoothing out any creases.

Spray more fabric glue on the inside of the box and fold over the remaining fabric to secure.  Repeat for the opposite side of the box that you are working with.

When you are ready to move onto the next 2 sides, snip the fabric that meets up on the outside corners with your scissors so you can fold in the extra fabric.

Secure the top extra fabric to the box with spray glue, and fold the unsecured fabric to create a seam.  Be sure to do a trial fold onto the box to make sure it lines up properly.

Spray entire side of box with glue and fold up fabric, smoothing out any wrinkles.  Then secure fabric to the inside of the box.

I had 2 boxes I wanted to cover, so I used my original template to simply cut out an additional cover.

Box is ready to use!  You can also cover the inside of the box with some pretty scrap booking paper, plain construction paper or additional fabric.  The plans I have for these boxes is be full of hats and mittens, so I don't feel the need to make the interior pretty this go-around.

If you notice your fabric on the inside of the box isn't stinking well, you can break out the hot glue gun to tact this part down.

Another fun idea for these is to cut out felt letters and add a child's name or to simply tag the box with what you are storing. 

30 comments:

  1. I love this! I have several boxes I wanted to cover, so now I can. I'm using the exact same box, so I was wondering how much fabric you used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was also wondering how much fabric? I use the diaper boxes for my kids toys and they need some spiffing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Don't have diaper boxes at this stage of life but lots of other boxes. Plenty of material so guess I'd better get busy. Thanks, Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like I am not the only one who recently found this post (Woo-Hoo, Pinterest!!)
    This is the perfect solution for me. I have lots of super sturdy boxes from Sam's Club items... and a LOT of clutter to go in them!

    Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE COVERING BOXES ALL SIZES. I LIKE YOUR TECHNIQUE. THANKS FOR THE TUTORIAL SO WELL EXPLAINED.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect for what I have in mind. Thank you for the photo directions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea and liquor boxes are very sturdy. i go behind the liquor store when I want a small to medium size box for storing. this would be better than looking like I have a drinking problem LOL!!!thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this is going to sound random, but what font are you using? I am a teacher and I create things all the time for the classroom and I love your font!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is using: Coming Soon, I use it too!

      Delete
  9. Thank you. Ill get started right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This rocks! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. next to last sentence has a typo(I hope). "Stinking" is hilarious but I bet you meant sticking. :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! (I was wondering who would pick up that stinking typo first)::giggle::

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good recycling and organizational job! KUDOS

    ReplyDelete
  14. well explained. I like instructions with the pictures. My suggestion if people wanted to line the boxes is to do this bit first, especially if using paper as the paper would adhere to the cardboard better than it adheres to the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is GENIUS! Seriously. I don't think I've ever been so excited to go buy diapers just so I can use the box.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What if ..................... we did this in the reverse? Instead of covering the bottom of the box, start with the fabric on the inside & follow the same instructions. Overlap the the fabric onto the bottom to cover the nasty, ugly edges & have a beautiful, functional inside, too. Make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would look lovely, but you would need almost twice as much fabric, because you are covering both the inside and outside of the sides of the box. The flaps would need to be about twice as long.

      Delete
  17. I did this years ago and used wallpaper scraps our paper-hanger/painter gave me. They looked great and wore well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You could also use modge podge to adhere the fabric to the box.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so great i am about to have my baby boy and he has to share a room with big sis so i am turning the closet in to a mini nursery And was going to buy bins but now i Don't have to Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea going to make one today

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well done! I cover all sorts of sturdy boxes with old book pages and mod podge for matching storage in my craft room. Baskets are too darn expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd like to link to this post in a roundup next week. May I use one of your photos when I do?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Contact paper also works really well in covering boxes for storage just depends or where it will be displayed ex contact paper for closets, pantries etc cloth in rooms or bathroom

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was wondering if you could use mode podge to do this with fabric and boxes and I got my answer right here on this page. Thank you. Great idea I have different size boxes I want to cover for my crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. GORGEOUS! I will make some with lids and we will reuse them at birthdays and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete